Staff #3 (Ishihara and Ikeda Shouko; character design etc)
- Because of the sheer number of characters, Ikeda designed most of the club members first before finalising the main characters!
- When Ishihara first started on the project, only one volume of the novel had been released, so they had very little to go by. They considered coming up with completely different designs…but since there was also going to be a manga version, with the manga artist using the novel cover artist, Asada Nikki’s designs, they decided to go with the same.
- The design for Michie (sensei) came from Asada; but although there was a design for Taki as well, Yamada (1st episode’s director) asked for a new design: he wanted a guy in his 30s or so, with glasses, and fluffy hair.
- Going back to the planning stages, Ishihara notes that he read all of Asada’s manga — he also lent them to Ikeda — and they used them to research the designs.
- They didn’t want to have too many ‘gag faces’, because the story is quite serious.
- Tune in at 01:55 and 03:40 to hear them squeal over their favourite male character…Chikao
- 11:00 more evidence that Gotou and Riko are dating: she scolds him, and then apologises for him — like an old married couple
- This the “Taki-sensei is scary episode” — they felt really sorry for Haruka
- The scene with the four kids at the fast food joint — they feel how young they are because they’re eating fries, and the way they pick up the food etc
- Asuka comes across as a single Mom — they don’t mean this in a bad way; rather, it’s like she’ll get through whatever life throws at her.
Staff #4 (Ishihara and Art Director Shinohara)
- Research for this series was super easy…since it’s set in their backyard. Though Shinohara observes that there were many places he hadn’t been…
- And because it was so close, they decided to make it as realistic as possible…except for certain things, such as the location of the school. Which station should they situate it close to? (Ishihara debated on this point…b/c Hazuki gets off at Obaku, there are only two stations it could be at: Kohata or Rokujizo, b/c the next station along, Momoyama Minamiguchi, is no longer in Uji City). But Kohata is the studio’s station…and Rokujizo is actually quite picturesque…so that’s what they decided on. And there are tea plantations around there…
- Starting around 17:00, they have a really interesting discussion about how Shinohara used colour to differentiate between the seasons. Right from the start, they’d made the colours very bold, and tweaked the contrast to clearly show the shadows, so making it even stronger for the summer (~episodes 10 onwards) was not really an option. Hence, Shinohara added a bit of emerald green to the sky… The colours of the greenery also changes — the brightness of spring slowly darkens into the strong verdant greens of summer.
- 03:40 fawning over Taki. Chikapet(?) loves his bed-head, and they speculate that perhaps he has two hair whorls
- 7:50 And Chikao has his first line…which has the girls going absolutely crazy!
- 10:30 Midori apparently has a really nice collarbone…
- 10:40 onwards — on Shuuichi — there is a sense of regret in the way he interacts with Kumiko, so watching these scenes again really gives Tomoyan(?) “the feels”
- 17:20 They go crazy about Gotou’s “I like the tuba,” and start speculating about their history: did they start tuba together? No, they met because of the tuba, right?
- 20:18 They also noticed the girl preparing to throw her mouthpiece (Hiro) (except Chikapet…who absolutely loves it after the others point it out)
- 21:20 They chide Taki was throwing out a line like “the time you waste on being young”… “It might be true, but that’s so mean!” They forgive him because his voice is really kind, but still!